Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Here are some photos of my works-in-progress for those curious about what my pieces look like before they're finished :D.



In case you don't recognize it, that's an Alexander ring in the making :).
He goes through an "awkward stage" before he's finished...



We've also got:
A Sylvie (this one's a size 9) that's almost finished, just needs the patina bath/selective polishing.
Some unfinished navette shaped stud earrings made with sterling silver posts and brass settings. These will be oxidized to a striking gunmetal finish, and set with pretty vintage rhinestones (haven't decided what color yet).



Here's my soldering setup. Note the "third hand" (that creepy - almost sentient - looking contraption hovering over the charcoal soldering block). My third hand is an absolute lifesaver during tricky soldering operations. You can also see another soldering surface (that beige brick thing that's standing up on its side), my Dandix flux (love that stuff!), my soldering screen, which I use to suspend my work in the air so I can heat it from the bottom (good for soldering bezels to sheet), my steel bench block, a cup of cold water that I quench small pieces in, my dapping punches (they're off in the back), my tweezers...and what appears to be the handle of my soldering pick. So there you have it, a glimpse at a typical jeweler's workbench :).

My workbench is more than a little messy...this photo doesn't even expose the half of it! But that's all right, there's actually order to my disorder and I still manage to get my work done, so whatever. (Justification for not cleaning that cluttered ol' thing :D... Ah, the sweet smell of denial.)

Gotta get back to work. Hope you enjoyed the snapshots!

<3 Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment